Updated: May 18
by Donal Skehan from Fresh: Simple, delicious recipes to make you feel energised (Hodder & Stoughton)
Simple greens wrapped up with creamy ricotta and just-set eggs are one of the quickest suppers to make. This is a dish that is also impressive-looking enough to serve straight to the table as a dinner party starter.
Small bunch of asparagus, ends trimmed
6 spring onions, trimmed
8 large free-range eggs (or 10 medium)
60ml goats’ milk (or you can use cows’ milk)
Small handful of basil, roughly chopped, plus a few leaves to garnish
Zest of 1 lemon
150g frozen peas, defrosted
1 tsp olive oil
100g ricotta cheese (or substitute with cottage cheese, mascarpone, goat’s or Cheddar)
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the grill to medium-high.
2. Blanch the asparagus and spring onions for 1–2 minutes in a pan of boiling salted water. Drain and refresh in a bowl of ice-cold water.
3. In a bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together then season and stir through the basil, lemon zest and peas.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick frying pan and pour in the egg mixture. Working quickly, arrange the asparagus and spring onions over the top of the frittata and dot with teaspoons of ricotta. Cook gently until the mixture is set but still a little runny in the centre. Place the pan under the hot grill and cook until the egg on top is golden and bubbling.
5. Serve in big chunky quarters with a scattering of basil leaves.