Updated: Mar 21, 2022
by Helen Hume from The Go-To Cookbook (Austin Macauley)
Over the years, I have made so many different recipes for chocolate mousse. This is definitely a winner and a much-shared recipe. Children and adults alike love the light and airy texture.
120g dark chocolate
5 egg whites
40g caster sugar
2 egg yolks
1. Break the chocolate into pieces and place in a bowl. Set the bowl over a pan of boiling water, turn off the heat and do not let the bowl touch the water. Leave for several minutes, stirring occasionally until the chocolate is smooth.
2. Whisk the egg white in a clean dry bowl until they form soft peaks. Add the caster sugar and whisk until firm peaks are formed.
3. Stir the egg yolks into the melted chocolate.
4. Whisk one-third of the chocolate mixture into the egg whites then gently fold in the remaining two thirds.
5. Pour the mousse into a serving bowl and refrigerate for at least four hours.